MARCY, N.Y. – The SUNY Poly Women's Volleyball team opened NEAC play with a hard fought, straight set victory over SUNY Cobleskill (25-16, 26-24, 25-17). The Wildcats were led by Brittany Adams (Clifton Park, N.Y.) and her 13 kills. With the victory, the Wildcats move to 3-6 overall and 1-0 in NEAC play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The first set was neck and neck until the Wildcats scored their 15th point of the match. The Wildcats then rattled off 10 straight points, led by the strong serving effort of Sydney Johnson (Nine Mile Falls, Wash.). Brittany Adams had seven of her 13 kills in the set, and Claire Ladlee (Leonardsville, N.Y.) added two kills on four total attacks for SUNY Poly.
The Wildcats started the second set strong, getting out to an 11-6 lead. Cobleskill fought back late and brought the game to match point with a 24-22 lead over the Wildcats. SUNY Poly, again led by the serving of Sydney Johnson, came from behind to pull off the thrilling 26-24 set win.
The Wildcats proved to be too much for the visiting Fighting Tigers in the third set. SUNY Poly never trailed in the final set, as they cruised to a 25-17 set to bring home their first conference victory of the season.
- Brittany Adams had 13 kills on 32 total attacks to go along with three digs and two block assists.
- Sydney Johnson had 26 assists, moving her to within 25 of the program record. She also recorded six digs, two kills, and one service ace.
- Makayla Hulett (Colonie, N.Y.) had five kills and three digs for the Wildcats.
- Claire Ladlee recorded four kills, three blocks, two block assists, and two digs.
- The Fighting Tigers were led by Megan Brewer and her six kills and five digs.
FROM THE COACH:
SUNY Poly Wildcats Head Coach Juleah Wanner had this to say about the match; "It feels nice to have our first conference win under our belt. Cobleskill challenged our offense, but we were able to keep a steady defense and serve receive to get the victory. Overall it was a nice win!"
The Wildcats look to continue their winning ways on Friday, September 14th as they take on King's College (Pa.) in the Hartwick College Invitational. The match is set to begin at 6:00pm.