MARCY, N.Y. - The SUNY Poly women's volleyball team (0-4, 0-0 NEAC) hosted Cortland (3-2, 0-0 SUNYAC) on Wednesday in a non-conference matchup. The Wildcats fell to the Red Dragons in three sets, but not without a fight. The two teams battled back and forth finishing the first two sets 25-23. Facing a 0-2 deficit, the Wildcats needed a big comeback. Unfortunately, Cortland closed out the third set handily, 25-15 to cap the win.
- The Wildcats trailed Cortland for the majority of the first set. Down 20-13, the Wildcats mounted a seven-point swing to even up the score. Great serving by Charlotte Rutnik (Glenmont, N.Y.) led the six point Wildcat rally. With the score knotted at 20, the Wildcats took the lead on a Makayla Hulett (Colonie, N.Y.) kill and extended it to 23-20 thanks to consecutive service aces by Samantha Henry (Greenport, N.Y.). The Red dragons would regain control, scoring five straight to close out the set.
- The second set was much of the same for the Wildcats. Facing a 10-4 score in favor of Cortland, the Wildcats mounted a comeback scoring five unanswered points thanks to more great serving by Charlotte Rutnik whose two aces in the set helped bring the Wildcats within two. The Wildcats would take a 16-15 lead in the set on a Brittany Adams (Clifton Park, N.Y.) kill. However, a five-point swing was again the downfall of the Wildcats as Cortland regained a 23-20 lead before closing out the set.
- The third saw Cortland jump out to an early 7-2 lead. The Cats' would attempt to mount a comeback but fell short as the Red Dragons powered their way to a 25-15 win.
- Charlotte Rutnik had a match high four service aces.
- Cortland's Nicole Silberer had a match high 10 kills on 24 attempts.
- Makayla Hulett had a team high seven kills on 26 swings.
- As a team, Cortland hit .120 to the Wildcats .013.
- 12 receiving errors by the Wildcats were costly in the match.
The Wildcats will travel to the University of Rochester this weekend for a pair of matches. They will take on the host, Rochester at 12:00 PM on Saturday followed by a match against Pitt-Bradford at 2:00 PM.