MARCY, N.Y. - The SUNY Poly men's volleyball team hosted their annual Invitational this past weekend, hosting eight teams for 18 matches of Volleyball. The Wildcats had four of those matches, squaring up with some high quality opponents. The team went 1-3, but played well. The Cats' lone win was against Cairn on Friday.
The Wildcats opened up the Invite against the Cairn University Highlanders on Friday. The Wildcats won the match 3-0, hitting a respectable .316 as a team. The scores of the sets were 25-21, 25-14, 25-21.
- Max Szuba (Irondequoit, N.Y.) led the Wildcats with a game high nine kills on 20 swings for a hitting percentage of .300.
- Nick Hagen (Hilton, N.Y.) had seven kills on 15 swings (.333) and had a match high four block assists.
- Zach Goggin (Feeding Hills Mass.) had a match high 27 assists in the match and a match high three service aces. Goggin also had
The Wildcats second match on Friday was against the winners of the Invitational Wentworth who went 4-0. The Wildcats fell to the Leopards 0-3 16-25, 23-25, 16-25. The Wildcats hit .179 to Wentworth's .477.
- Wentworth's Jake Reed had a game high 10 kills and hit .474. Jake was named the MVP of the Invitational after a string of fantastic games.
On Saturday the Wildcats opened up play against Lakeland College. The Wildcats and the Muskies battled back-and-forth for five sets to determine the winner. Lakeland would end up winning the match 3-2: 22-25, 26-24, 25-21, 23-25, 15-12.
- Max Szuba had a great match. He hit .262 on 42 swings and totaled a team high 17 kills, and had a service ace.
- Zach Goggin set his season high for assists with 45. The junior also had five kills on 10 swings (.400). He also had eight digs and a solo block.
- Nick Hagen had nine kills on 26 swings (.269). Hagen also had a service ace, two digs, and a block assist.
The Wildcats last game of the weekend also went to five sets. SUNY Poly would fall 2-3 to Stevenson in another back-and-forth match. The Wildcats hit .143 in the match. The final scores of the sets were 28-26, 20-25, 25-20, 15-25, 12-15.
Robert Nilsen (Bohemia, N.Y.) had a team high 16 kills and hit .222 on 36 swings. The senior also tallied two service aces and eight digs.
The Wildcats are now 1-3 on the season. The team will be back in action on Wednesday when they will host Sage College in a non-conference match. The game will take place at SUNY Poly's Wildcat Field House at 7:00 PM.