CAZENOVIA, N.Y. - The SUNY Poly men's lacrosse team (5-0, 1-0 NEAC) continued their winning ways on Wednesday with a 13-7 win over North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) rival Cazenovia (1-4, 0-1 NEAC). The win gives the Wildcats a 5-0 record for the first time in program history and was the Wildcats first win over Cazenovia since 2013.
The Wildcats jumped out to a fast lead, rattling off three unanswered goals in the first quarter to take a 3-1 lead. Cazenovia battled back to tie the game at three in the first seven minutes of the second quarter, but SUNY Poly would regain the lead 5-4 heading into the locker room at the half. The second half was all Poly as the 'Cats grew their one goal lead at the half into a six goal win at the close of regulation.
A goal by Cazenovia's Connor Smith with six minutes to go in the third quarter brought the game within one goal for Cazenovia. SUNY Poly's Charles Rosaschi (Central Valley, N.Y.) and Daniel Rivie (Ossining, N.Y.) each scored a goal in the last five minutes of the third quarter to give the Wildcats a three goal lead. SUNY Poly would end the game on a powerful 6-1 run to close out their first NEAC win of the season.
- Daniel Rivie had a game high six points on a game high five goals and an assist. The six points brings his season total to 17.
- Junior Charles Rosaschi added five points to his season total. He scored three goals, and had a pair of assists. He is currently tied for third in the NEAC with 22 points.
- Edward Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.) had three points in a game for the fourth consecutive game this season. Eddie scored three goals and had two groundballs.
- Freshman Jared Laird (Ontario, N.Y.) recorded his fifth career win. Laird made 15 saves in the game on 21 shots. He is just one win away from tying the single season win's record.
- Devin Roes (Lowville, N.Y.) put together a nice game for the Wildcats. The freshman had two goals, an assist, two ground balls, and a caused turnover. He needed just two shots to score his two goals.
- Braxton Evans-Murphy (Auburn, N.Y.) had a game high three caused turnovers for SUNY Poly. He is tied for team best with six CTs this season.
- Cazenovia's Joe Timm had a team high five points on four goals and an assist.
- Shea Ames and Jake Bertrand each had a goal and an assist for Caz.
The Wildcats will play their home opener on Saturday, March 31st at 1:00 PM. The Wildcats will face off with SUNY Delhi. The series is tied at 1-1 between the Wildcats and the Broncos with the most recent game being won by Delhi last season. The Broncos are 2-5 so far this season.