HOUGHTON, N.Y. - The SUNY Poly men's lacrosse team (3-0) traveled to Houghton on Wednesday for a mid-week non-conference game against the Highlanders (0-5). The Wildcats got out to an early 3-1 lead in the first half on three unassisted goals. The team continued to play hard on both ends, scoring 10 more goals in the final three quarters while holding Houghton to just four total goals. The final score was 13-4. The win helped the Wildcats match their win total from last season and gives them a 3-0 record for the first time in program history.
The Wildcats dominated most of the team statistics in the matchup with the Highlanders. As a team, the Wildcats won 16 of 20 face-offs. The 'Cats took 34 shots in the game, putting 21 of them on goal. The opposition put 14 of 19 shots on goal. The Wildcats also won the ground game, scooping up eight more groundballs (43-35). The Highlanders had a slight edge on both turnovers and caused turnovers.
The Wildcats took control of the game in the first half. Chase LaCava (Jamesville, N.Y.) started off the game with an unassisted goal just two minutes into the game. Houghton would answer with a goal of their own, but that would be the lone Highlander goal of the first half. Ryan Mead (Churchville, N.Y.) and Daniel Rivie (Ossining, N.Y.) added two goals each in the half to give the Wildcats a 5-1 lead headed to the locker room at the half.
- Ryan Mead had a fantastic game for the Wildcats. The freshman dominated at the faceoff X, going 14-16. Mead also had two goals, a game high 10 groundballs, and a caused turnover in the game.
- Daniel Rivie scored a game high four goals in the game. Rivie also had five groundballs and a caused turnover in the game. The four points puts his career total at 52.
- Edward Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.) had three points in the game on two goals and an assist. He also had two groundballs in the game. Eddie now has a team best seven assists this season.
- After a slow first three quarters, Charles Rosaschi (Central Valley, N.Y.) turned up the heat on the offensive side, scoring all three of his goals in the final 10 minutes of the game. He currently leads the Wildcats with 11 goals and 14 points this season.
- All four of the Wildcat goalies saw action in the game. Jared Laird (Ontario, N.Y.) recorded his third win of the season, making four saves on five shots. Sam Rubin (Goshen, N.Y.) made a team high six saves in 15 minutes of play.
- Ryan Daucher (Geneva, N.Y.) had a team high two caused turnovers in the game. He also had a groundball.
- Jonathan Mayer led the way for the Highlanders with two goals in the game.
- Titus Snavely was the top defender for Houghton. He caused a game high five turnovers and tied a team high with five groundballs.
- Quinn Hall and Thomas Woodward also had five groundballs for the Highlanders.
- Bryce Bellan was credited with the loss in goal. He made eight saves on 21 shots faced.
The Wildcats will hit the road for a non-conference game at SUNY Canton. The game between the Wildcats and the Kangaroos is scheduled for a 1:00 PM start on Saturday, March 24th. The last meeting between the two teams was a 15-11 loss for SUNY Poly last season. The Roos are 5-1 so far in 2018.