PURCHASE, N.Y. - The SUNY Poly men's lacrosse team earned their first win of the 2018 season in a thrilling overtime sudden death win on the road over SUNY Purchase (1-2).
The Wildcats and the Panthers played a scoreless game for the first 12 minutes. Two goals in the last three and a half minutes by Charles Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.) and Daniel Rivie (Ossining, N.Y.) gave the Wildcats a 2-0 lead. Purchase would score a goal at the buzzer to end the quarter 2-1.
Purchase would rattle off the first three goals of the second quarter to take a 4-2 lead, but the Wildcats would close out the half with three straight goals to take back the lead 5-4.
The two teams would battle back-and-forth in the third and fourth quarter.
Trailing by three goals with just over five minutes to play, the Wildcats netted three unanswered goals in under two minutes to tie the game up. Noah Garrett (New Hartford, N.Y.) scored the first goal down the stretch on an assist by Charles Rosaschi. Devin Roes (Lowville, N.Y.) would make it a one goal game just over a minute later on an assist by Daniel Rivie. Charles Rosaschi netted his third goal of the game with 3:18 to play in the forth, ultimately sending the game into overtime.
In overtime, sophomore Eddie Rosaschi (Highland Mills, N.Y.) scored the game winner, taking it coast-to-coast unassisted to secure the Wildcats first win of the season.
- Charles Rosaschi had a team high five points on three goals and two assists.
- Edward Rosaschi was the game's hero. His overtime goal was his first of the season. He also had an assist, two groundballs and a caused turnover.
- Daniel Rivie had two goals, an assist, two groundballs, and two caused turnovers.
- The Wildcats went 9-23 in the faceoff circle. Ryan Mead (Churchville, N.Y.) went 3-7, Austin Rio (Cicero, N.Y.) went 1-1, and Jonathan Sobolewski (Staten Island, N.Y.) went 5-15.
- Casey Hennessey (Voorheesville, N.Y.) had two caused turnovers for the Wildcats.
- Chase LaCava (Jamesville, N.Y.) had two points on a goal and an assist and tied a team high with three groundballs.
- Noah Garrett scored two goals on three shots. All three shots were put on goal.
- Devin Roes scored two goals and dished out an assist in the game, for his first three points in blue and gold.
- Jared Laird (Ontario, N.Y.) earned his first win in goal as a Wildcat. He made eight saves on 18 shots.
- Ben Erkan had a game high six points on four goals and two assists for the Panthers. He also had a game high eight groundballs.
- James Felix had five points in the game for Purchase. He scores twice and dished out three assists.
The Wildcats next game will be their home opener on March 13th against Lyndon State. The game is scheduled for a 4:00 PM start. Lyndon State is 1-3 to this point. They earned a win over Oglethorpe to start the season. They will face Albertus Magnus before their matchup with the Wildcats.