FT. LAUDERDALE, FLA. – The SUNY Poly men's basketball team traveled to sunny Florida to compete at the Tripp Sports Cruzin' Classic for the second time in three seasons. The Wildcats took on Simpson on Thursday, losing the game 66-84, and Wartburg on Friday, losing 66-81. The Wildcats are now 2-9 on the season.
The Wildcats got off to a slow start, getting outscored 43-26 in the first half. The team would improve their play in the second, shooting 48% from the field and 50% from behind the arc. The 40 point second half would not be enough to get the 'Cats back in the game as Simpson matched them shot for shot. The final score was 66-84.
- Josh Gregory (Whitesboro, N.Y.) led the Wildcats with 30 points on 10-15 shooting. He knocked down three of four three pointers that he attempted and pulled down 15 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season.
- Redell Freeman (Rochester, N.Y.) had 15 points for his Wildcats. The senior hit two three pointers, had three rebounds and an assist.
- Peyton Griffiths (Milford, N.Y.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for the Wildcats. He scored 10 points, had four rebounds, two assists, and two blocks.
The Wildcat's second game of the trip was against Wartburg, who the Wildcats faced during their last visit to Ft. Lauderdale. The Knights jumped out to a 10 point lead in the first half and expanded their lead in the second. The Wildcats shot well from behind the arc, hitting 11 threes. The final score was 81-66.
- Neville Smith (Tortola, British Virgin Islands) had a game and career high 25 points in the game for the Wildcats. The freshman drained a career high seven three pointers, shooting 77% from three point land and 81 percent from the floor. Neville also had five rebounds and an assist in a career high 29 minutes played.
- Josh Gregory had 17 points for the Wildcats. Gregory also had a team high seven rebounds, four assists, and a steal.
- Redell Freeman had 14 points, two assists, three steals and a rebound in the game.
The Wildcats will open up the new year on the road. The 'Cats will take on Alfred State on Monday, January 7th at 3:00 PM.