LAKELAND, FLA. – The SUNY Poly baseball team lost two to Ursinus on Monday to bring their season record to 2-2 in 2019. The Bears of Ursinus got off to a hot start in both games, taking a 5-0 lead in game one and an 8-1 lead in game two. The Wildcats fought back into both games, but came up short. The final score in game one was 5-2 and the score in game two was 9-7.
Trailing by five runs after three innings, the Wildcats pushed across a run in the fourth on a Michael Losco (North Babylon, N.Y.) RBI single and a run in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly by Dean Natalizio (Greenville, N.Y.). Starting pitcher Colin Nabinger (Cato, N.Y.) had a tough start, allowing a homerun in the first inning to Dom Fiorentino, but settled in and had a very solid debut for the Wildcats. The freshman threw six innings, allowed seven hits, struck out eight and walked two. He allowed four earned runs.
- Seth Vanderbeck (Saugerties, N.Y.) went 2-4 with a run scored in the game.
- Michael Losco went 2-3 with an RBI.
- Nick LaBella (Utica, N.Y.) went 1-2.
- Dom Fiorentino went 1-4 with a home run for the Bears.
- Ursinus's Alex Mumme went 2-3 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Tom Jacobs went 2-3 with an RBI for the Bears.
- A.J. Palumbo earned the win on the mound. He went five innings, allowed two runs and had four strikeouts.
Wildcats went down big after a five run second inning by Ursinus. They answered with a run in the bottom of the third, but the bears tacked on three more in the fourth to make it an 8-1 game. The Wildcats made a run in the fifth and sixth, scoring four runs in the bottom of the fifth and two in the bottom of the sixth to make it a one run game heading to the seventh. Ursinus would score an insurance run in the top of the seventh, and that was all that Will Peiffer needed to shut the door. The lefty earned the save going three up - three down in the seventh.
- Ian Pawluckie (Penfield, N.Y.) was on the losing end of the decision for the Wildcats. The junior went four innings, allowed eight runs, and struck out two.
- Matt Bull earned the win for the Bears. He went five innings, allowed five runs, and struck out five.
- Jake LaFerriere (Troy, N.Y.) had a solid debut at the plate for the Wildcats. The junior went 2-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Connor Loveless (Cato, N.Y.) also went 2-4 with an RBI in his debut for the Wildcats.
- James Lynch (Phoenix, N.Y.) went 1-2 with a walk and two runs scored for SUNY Poly in his first start for the Wildcats.
- Alex Winchell (Vernon, N.Y.) drove in two runs in the game. He went 1-4.
- Dom Fiorentino had another solid game for the Bears. He went 2-5 with two RBIs and two runs scored.
- Jerry Scavone also had two hits for Ursinus and drove in two runs.
- Jon Moldoff had two hits in the game. He also scored a run.
The Wildcats will take on Worcester State in their fifth game of the trip. The game is scheduled for a 11:00 AM start at Lake Myrtle Park Field #8.